Safer driving for your loved ones!
NDDTSEA and LifeSaver join forces to prevent distracted driving in North Dakota, with the LifeSaver Mobile App.
Do you have a teen driver in your family? LifeSaver removes the dangers caused by texting and driving.
- LifeSaver runs in the background, automatically locks the phone when the vehicle starts moving and unlocks the phone when the vehicle comes to a stop.
- LifeSaver also provides for driver monitoring and rewards safe driving behavior with popular gift cards.
- LifeSaver prevents crashes—and a $100 fine for texting while driving in North Dakota. Drivers under 18 are barred from using all personal wireless communications, even hands-free.
Distracted driving prevention is part of driver education and traffic safety programs in North Dakota. LifeSaver is one step toward safer drivers who are focused on the road with their hands on the wheel.
Keeping loved ones safer has never been simpler.
The LifeSaver App on the phones of those you love ensures they’ll be safer on the road (and that you’ll rest easier while they’re away from home).
- Simple to set up
- Easy to use. Installs in seconds and does not interfere with normal smart phone functions.
- Safe and secure
- Allows Loved One to set guidelines and monitor behavior.
- Notifies when unlocked
- Sends text message notifications to Loved One if the Driver unlocks LifeSaver while driving.
- Rewards the right behavior
- Drivers can earn free rewards such as iTunes for safe driving behavior.
- Our patent-pending technology
- LifeSaver innovates with Smart GPS Consumption and Accelerometer-based driving detection.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is LifeSaver’s mission?
- Our mission is to end the epidemic of Distracted Driving and related fatalities and injuries. We want Drivers to make a behavioral change and stop using cell phones while driving. Though our simple to use innovative Driver Portal you can now invite your drivers to install LifeSaver directly and soon after know three important facts; Does my driver have the app installed and running? Is my driver unlocking LifeSaver when driving? Is my Driver arriving at there destination.
- How does the app work?
The app runs silent in the background and automatically presents a block (Android) and deterring 'Keep your eyes on the road' notification (iPhone) on the driver’s smartphone while the car is in motion. The app is transparent to the driver when not driving and uses the latest techniques to minimize battery consumption.
On iPhone the app allows for Navigation Maps (Apple) and hands free calls outside the iPhone's passcode lock screen.
On Android the app also allows for hands free calls and Navigation without blocking with Google Maps, or if you install Waze on your device Waze.
PLEASE initiate your navigation before you drive!
- What can I do with my phone when driving?
- It's always better to leave your device off when driving, but we know certain features like navigation are important. See these quick pointers for safer driving to learn how essential functions like Navigation and hands free features of your phone can be used more safely, while keeping your LifeSaver score high.
- What is this 'Keep Your Eyes on the Road' alert on iPhone?
On iPhones Apple doesn't allow apps to provide the lock screen as on Android. The best practice for iPhones is to keep your display OFF or use your phone with the passcode screen lock ON when driving. This avoids you seeing the reminder while driving and keeps your score high.
With apple you CAN use Apple Maps navigation and hands free calls out side the iPhone passcode lock!
PLEASE initiate your navigation before you drive!
- Can I still use Navgation Maps with the app?
Yes! You can use navigation without hurting your score on both iPhone and Android.
iPhone - Works best with Apple maps. Start your navigation first (before driving) then passcode lock your iPhone screen. Google and Waze will also work OUTSIDE your passcode lock but only with a small banner and audio turn by turn (This is currently an Apple restriction).
Android - Defaults and works best with Google Maps. If you have Waze installed the map icon will launch Waze over google maps as the default.
PLEASE initiate your navigation before you drive!
- Can I listen to music on my phone with the app?
- Yes! Many music apps will work with the app. Just use music hands free and ideally set it up before you drive.
On iPhones play the music OUTSIDE the passcode lock screen to prevent seeing the 'Keep your eyes on the road' banner (this keeps your score high).
Note: Some music players may not work well if you have the LifeSaver Settings to 'Silence inbound notifications' turned on so you may need to disable this setting to use music.
- Why is this better than other Distracted Driving Solutions?
Drivers need help to break their distracted driving habit, and using our solution, the driver’s loved one (typically a parent or spouse) finally has the tools to help make this happen. Once installed, the loved one can easily monitor the driver for distracted driving, and through the driver portal, can reward the driver for safe driving. As a result, the driver experiences effortless change as the app automatically detects driving to lock or deter distraction. The app solution strives for great working products that are also widely available. While we do provide optional paid solution for fleets and parent portal, We don't believe in barriers like undue costs or extra hardware to solve the problem so do not charge for the app.
- Is the app available for iPhone?
Yes! Our app is now available in iTunes! And when configured correctly, you will find it works better than others do. That said, developer restrictions cause the iPhone solution to work a little differently than Android (for iOS 10 please see the link on our main website page), so make sure you follow the in-app tutorial describing these settings, and you're good to go! iPhone Config.
- The apps uses some GPS. Does that drain the battery?
The app is designed for the efficient use of GPS to conserve the phone’s battery. GPS needs to be left on at all times, but don’t worry! LifeSaver only uses GPS as needed and puts it to sleep when the phone is at rest. A typical phone needs to be charged only once per day, and we are always improving and fine tuning because we know battery life is important.
See bit.ly/LSbattery for more information!
- What are Parent Rewards?
We recognize teen drivers may need an additional ‘nudge’ to encourage safe driving, so our innovative rewards system within our Driver Portal allows for this. Parents can setup monthly rewards which are tied to safer, non-distracted driving; then the Driver Portal scores these rewards automatically. Parents choose rewards that work for their teen driver, and we'll take it from there handling the scoring and notifications!
LifeSaver may also sponsor rewards through other programs such as DriveHealthy.org. Such rewards are handled separately on a program by program basis.
- Are other apps allowed?
The distracted driving app allows the driver to receive hands-free calls, Maps/Navigation, and music while driving as long as setup before the drive and used with the phone passcode locked. All other apps are deterred (iPhone) or blocked (Android) during driving unless the driver becomes a passenger and clicks the 'Passenger Unlock' button.
On Android and iOS 9, the LifeSaver app presents a constant locking screen to prevent other app usage. On iOS 10 LifeSaver currently deters with a 'Keep Your Eyes on The Road' alert when driving and detects and reports violations to the driver portal.
On both Android and iPhone, parents should tell teens to set the navigation before driving to eliminate this common distraction.
- Can the app be unlocked in Emergencies?
- Through the app settings, the loved one can enable the driver to have an ‘Emergency Unlock’ (Android) and 'Emergency Call' (iOS) features. If the driver uses these emergency features while driving, the unlock is logged and text notification is sent to the loved one.
- What if the Driver wants to use his/her phone as a Passenger?
- If the driver becomes a passenger, he may use the ‘Passenger Unlock’ feature. In this case, the phone remains unlocked for the duration of the trip, the unlock is logged, and a text notification is sent to the loved one monitoring the use or abuse of this feature. Our studies show teens will rarely abuse this feature since parents are very aware when the teen is driving and when he is not. If the feature is abused, the parent can remove the capability to do passenger unlocks. Visibility of any abuse is seen in your Driver Portal.
- How fast does the app lock and unlock?
- The phone will be locked as quickly as a few seconds when driving starts. When driving stops, LifeSaver can unlock just as quickly, or it can be configured to unlock up to 60 seconds (Android) after driving stops to discourage phone access at stoplights.
- Can the app be disabled or GPS be turned off by the Driver?
If the driver disables location services on Android, the app will send the loved one a text notification, another example of the ‘monitoring’ aspects of LifeSaver. On iPhone the disabling of disabling location services is captured in diagnostics since automatic texting is not allowed on iPhones by apps
Using the Driver Portal, parents have the visibility to know if LifeSaver is still installed and running because each driver’s LifeSaver app reports back to the parents’ portal.
- Do I need a data plan for the app to work?
- Yes. The driver must have a data plan for the app to work properly and report information to your dashboard. You should plan on upgrading for a data plan prior to using the app.
- What is the Driver Portal and Dashboard?
Our Driver Portal is a dashboard that provides a very simple method to better understand distracted driving behavior and to provide rewards to help teen drivers break the distraction habit. Parents can simply register on the Driver Portal and invite teens directly. The teens will get a text message to install the app and be automatically linked to the parent's portal. It's never been easier to get the family working together to solve the danger of distracted driving.
For companies with drivers please see our 'For Fleets' tab on our website for more information.
- Can I use the Driver Portal dashboard on my phone without installing the app?
1. For consumers open your mobile browser and login to your account on portal.lifesaver-app.com or partner provided link. For commercial companies please talk to your administrator
2. On iPhone use the share feature on the bottom of browser and select 'Add to Home Screen'. This will create an icon on your mobile desktop, which is your one-click access to your dashboard.
The steps are similar for Android ... you can add to home screen from the menu in the upper right of the chrome browser. In addition, if you set your browser settings to remember password the user and password are defaulted for you, making it easy to go straight to the dashboard on your mobile device.
- Why don't I seem to be getting Arrival Notifications?
- LifeSaver needs your data plan on and needs access to the device location to work properly. When the iPhone app is installed you be prompted “Allow LifeSaver to access your locations even when you’re not using the app?” The response to this must be ‘Always’ for LifeSaver to report Arrival notifications. Please check your cell data and location services settings on the device and for the app to resolve any issues.
- My Samsung phone is giving me warnings about th app and battery consumption
Samsung is taking an aggressive stance on distracted driving apps like LifeSaver which need to use a little more battery. The Android app version 7.0 and later dramatically improves your battery life (frequently just 1% per hour depending on your device).
Please upgrade to app version 7.0 or greater as your first step. You may also need to do a one time change in your settings shown here to add LifeSaver to unmonitored apps. We take battery consumption very seriously and look to reduce battery consumption on a daily basis!
- How do I join DriveHealthy if my cell phone doesn't have an Oregon area code?
If you're an Oregon Resident, but have a cell phone with a non-Oregon area code, just follow the steps shown here in the in-app dashboard 'My Settings' which will allow you to join DriveHealthy after installing LifeSaver.
- How do I change my 'organization' for DriveHealthy?
If you've joined LifeSaver through a state program such as DriveHealthy and want to change the organization (team) you're part of simply do the following:
1. In the driver portal or in-app dashboard click on your name in the upper right hand corner.
2. Click on 'My Settings' Menu item.
3. In the Organization Field, select (or type in a partial string to find) you organization. Then click the 'Save' button at the bottom of the page.
- I'm having other problems not listed above.
- Check out our short list of the most common issues and likely resolution here in our troubleshooting page.